December 21, 2006

Why Homeschool #3

So that Gloria will never be subject to any "zero-tolerance" policies:


Patrick Agin, a high school senior in Portsmouth, R.I., was surprised by his school’s refusal this fall to use a yearbook photograph of him dressed in medieval chain mail, with a broadsword over his shoulder.

“I didn’t think it would be that big a deal,” said Mr. Agin, a 17-year-old who attends Portsmouth High School. “I just really like the picture, and it’s one of the first good photos I’ve taken in a long time.”

Good or not, the school said, the picture ran afoul of its zero-tolerance weapons policy.

“Students wielding weapons is just not consistent with our existing policies or the mission of the school,” said Robert Littlefield, the principal. “I think the picture speaks for itself.”

As Principal Moss said on King of the Hill, "If I showed even a little bit of tolerance, we couldn't call it zero-tolerance."

No comments: