June 10, 2005

A Deluge of Gifts, 2 Appointments with the Midwife and One Childbirth Class

It's been an incredibly busy few weeks here as the baby's expected arrival date is less than a month away!

Since my last posting, we have had three (yes, three) more baby showers--2 for me, 1 for Marc! We are really lucky to have so many thoughtful people surrounding us. We will have the best-dressed baby around and the most well-read child in town! On Memorial Day weekend, I had a great time at my shower with all of my high school girlfriends (though I've been friends with most of them for a lot longer than that) and some of our moms. They had a book-themed shower, so in addition to wonderful gifts, we also got some of the best kids' books out there. On the Tuesday following Memorial Day, I had a shower at the office that was really nice, too. The following day, Marc's co-workers threw a shower for him at the library!

I have been to see the midwife twice since my last posting and am happy to report that all is well. I have gained 22 pounds total so far, which isn't too bad (and it seems like almost all of it is belly). The baby is head down (great news!) and the baby's butt is on my right-hand side. When the baby really gets moving, that butt can be pushed right up against me and be very noticeable. My blood pressure was a little high at my appointment yesterday, so I have to keep an eye out for all of those nasty problems I had a few weeks back. I have started effacing (was around 50% yesterday), but still have some progress to make before labor.

Last Saturday, my mom and I went to my childbirth preparation class. We chose to do an all-day class instead of the several weeks that others go through. It was really wonderful. The instructor was great and there were only 6 other couples in the class. I was quite nervous as we watched videos of deliveries, but I don't think there's much I can do about it now!

Unfortunately, I came down with a nasty cold this week. I have been home all week, drinking lots of water, one or two cups of hot tea each day and not taking any medicine. It seems to be getting a little better (and fortunately, I didn't have a fever), but it looks like I will not be doing much of anything this weekend to continue my efforts to shake this cold. I was very lucky this week to have Marc home to take care of me a few days this week. He's going to be a great stay-at-home dad.

Work on the nursery continues. We (OK, Marc) had a lot of things to dismantle and move around to get it into its current state. Finishing that may be our big fun for the weekend. That, and watching more baseball.

No comments: